The B. Iden Payne Theatre
The B. Iden Payne Theatre provides the perfect setting for plays and dance performances, allowing audiences a close-up look at the action on stage. This facility not only stages productions by students of the UT Department of Theatre & Dance, but also productions by internationally celebrated theatre companies and dance troupes.
- Permanent seating: 495
- Wheelchair seating: 8
- Excellent acoustics for voice and stage musicals due to intimate size of the theatre and the double proscenium design which serves to force sound out into the audience
- Proscenium stage: 32′ opening
- Stage right wing space: 13′ width x 36′ deep x 25′ high
- Stage left wing space: 41′ 8″ width x 36′ deep x 25′ high
- Full fly tower
- Sophisticated lighting and sound systems
- Counterbalance system
- Hydraulic orchestra pit
- 3 private dressing rooms
- Loading dock at stage level
- Mezzanine Lobby
The Lab Theatre
The Lab Theatre is a newly renovated space in which students mount their own productions. Students have the opportunity to write and produce their own work in this space as well as refine their technical and design skills. The department provides technical support for this stage, but it exists solely as a resource for student-driven projects. Both majors and non-majors may audition for Lab Theatre productions.
- Proscenium theatre
- Seats 150 people
- 3 motorized electrics
- 2 traps that lead into the dressing rooms below
- Rep light plot hung with 3 available specials
- 3 wireless microphones and a dual CD player for playback
The Oscar G. Brockett Theatre
The Oscar G. Brockett Theatre is an intimate setting of approximately 200 seats. Utilized most frequently for student productions of the Department of Theatre & Dance, this theatre helps develop budding new talent into experienced performers.
- 60′ x 60′ room with thirty-six 10′ x 10′ adjustable floor sections
- Semi-permanent thrust stage
- Newly renovated sound system
- Men’s and Women’s dressing rooms
Bellmont Dance Studio
Dimensions: 73′ x 41′ x 30′
Square Footage: 2,993
Lighting: Metal halide lighting (80-120 fc)
Features: Mirrors on north and south walls. Barres on east and west walls.
Activities: Dance (Only soft-soled dance shoes are allowed on the Harlequin floor in this room)
Located adjacent to Bass Concert Hall, the McCullough Theatre features 400 seats, a 30-foot proscenium stage and an orchestra pit equipped for 35 musicians. Host to UT Opera student productions and other Texas Performing Arts events, this versatile space accommodates chamber music, opera, drama, dance, solo recitals and more. The cozy lobby of the theatre is also the site of many Arts After Hours functions, where young professionals and Texas Performing Arts guests gather after events to share cocktails and discuss the evening’s entertainment.